Port Hedland International Airport established a dedicated heliport facility in 2018, a first for Port Hedland, to attract offshore helicopter operations to Port Hedland. The base facilitates domestic and international fixed-wing to rotary-wing flight connectivity, to transport personnel offshore. The operations are a celebrated, success story for PHIA, its helicopter operating partners and community, facilitating workforce transport 100% safely and on-time. The campaigns to date, have transported more than 5,000 passengers to oil and gas offshore facilities in the Bedout Basin, situated approximately 160km north of Port Hedland.
The fixed base operation provides a base for fleets of commercial helicopters, carrying up to 19 passengers at a time. It includes a complete suite of maintenance, administration and passenger service facilities. The heliport is a stand-alone facility with its own access, parking areas and amenities. The complex has well-equipped hangar by arrangement.
Available end to end service or service components;
- Friendly, trained and experienced operations staff
- Fixed-wing airport meet and greet, 30m walk to Heliport Passenger Terminal
- Ground support teams; sterile baggage handling fixed-wing to helo
- D&A screening
- Tea, and coffee refreshment facilities, with catering as required
- Security screening
- Safety briefing room
- Passenger marshalling
- Crew and passenger accommodation (on and offsite)
- Serviced office space and amenities
- Airfreight services on-site
- AFIS controlled
- Aviation Fire Fighting Service
- Hangars, Freight and logistics infrastructure as required
Exploration of the Bedout Basin includes the Dorado wells, estimated to be the third-biggest oil field in the greater North West Shelf. Read more about oil and gas in our region;
PHIA is a proven service provider, providing passengers with a reliable, safe and seamless journey to and from their offshore work.